You must be logged in to post Login Register Members

Register? | Lost Your Password?

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

102 DC Books!

UserPost

2:58 am
11/01/2012

Ian Aleksander Adams

Savannah, GA

Final Boss
Final Boss

posts 1897

I think Sandman's great, and definitely one of the best books first collected into trade. It also filled a niche that didn't really have much going for it at the time (when it was coming out, it was the only major league fantasy title). It also had broad appeal to a lot of groups that didn't feel serviced by comics.

So in many ways, it was the right thing at the right time, but while that means it could easily be overrated (there are greater runs before and since, and the immediate predecessor of Swamp Thing was probably more revolutionary with less credit) but I don't think that's any reason to not read it. Give it a shot. Could easily not be your thing, but I don't think anyone could say it's as painful as many actually bad comics, haha

11:20 pm
11/01/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

I have read the first few issues and so far I am enjoying it, its a cool fantasy title with an interesting premise and I hear that it just gets better, so far I'm hooked enough to at least get the next couple of trades and see where it goes.  Although I can see how it wouldn't be for some people.  But to me its a cool break from all the super hero stuff and can see how it applied to a greater range of people.   

What titles do you think topped The Sandman?

1:42 am
11/02/2012

Ian Aleksander Adams

Savannah, GA

Final Boss
Final Boss

posts 1897

It gets much better once it picks up steam.

For some reason I've got a really soft spot for Books of Magic, but for a lot of reasons Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run is my favorite run on a non-contained book ever. It's just damn good.

1:28 pm
11/04/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

Ok I finished the first trade last night and I have to say that I really liked it.  The last three issues especially were quite good.  Its amazing that Neil Gaiman was able to write one of the most truly horrific stories that I have ever read in a comic with the issue "24 hours", then write a surprisingly upbeat and touching story not two issues later with a story that revolved around Death of all things in "The Sound of Her Wings".  Its really cool how much of a range of issues and emotions Gaiman can get in this title with such an interesting premise.  The art to was very solid and fit the mood of the story.  I also liked all the little Easter eggs that can be found in the artwork like the reappearing clock and the images in Dream's coat.  And Dream's trip into Hell was just awesome.  I'm definitely on board for at least the next couple of trades.  Especially if it just gets better.

So with all your hype I think I am going to have to get my hands on Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run at some point.  Sigh, so many trades and so little time.  Transmetropolitan and Preacher are still on my list as well. 

So yeah I think Im going to have to tell my friend that I didnt have to much of a problem getting into it.       

1:44 pm
11/04/2012

Ian Aleksander Adams

Savannah, GA

Final Boss
Final Boss

posts 1897

yeah it's great. I wouldn't worry too much about reading them in order, also, I read Swamp Thing after Sandman and still really enjoyed both. 

1:50 pm
11/04/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

Yeah I guess I was technically supposed to reach Swamp Thing First but I really don't think Ill have a problem following either, I am pretty well versed in DCU history and characters. 

4:54 pm
11/07/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

Just finished DC's Kingdom Come.  Had this one on my list for awhile and finally got around to it, and oh was it good.  Although I can see how some might dislike the characterization of Superman.  Anybody read it and want to discuss?

8:51 pm
11/07/2012

duncanpr

Forum Fan

posts 40

Just finished DC's Kingdom Come.  Had this one on my list for awhile and finally got around to it, and oh was it good.  Although I can see how some might dislike the characterization of Superman.  Anybody read it and want to discuss?

Might I suggest starting a new post focused on the discussion? :)

5:06 pm
11/13/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

Just got the second volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman and I am looking forward to getting into it!  I also picked up Green Arrow: The Long Bow Hunters and Knightfall part 1: Broken Bat, yeah Barns and Nobel.   

4:35 pm
11/24/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

Finished the second volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman and I thought it was pretty good.  I thought the Cereal Convention was especially creative and interesting, where the heck did Gaiman come up with that one?  It wasn't anything that just blew me away, but still pretty solid stuff.  I enjoyed the story of Rose and her brother. 

I also really enjoyed Green Arrow the Long Bow Hunters.  A very gritty and grounded take on the emerald archer.  I really liked that it was very mature in both its content and depth.  I cant believe that the rest of the Grell run on Green Arrow isn't collected in trade.   

4:45 pm
11/24/2012

duncanpr

Forum Fan

posts 40

Could you please start a new forum post to discuss your readings? I would like to read Sandman for myself and do my best to avoid even the tiniest of spoilers. I appreciate your understanding with this.

10:08 pm
11/24/2012

yudansha

Inquisitive Soul

posts 22

Um I really don't think that there are any spoilers in my post, there's nothing there that you couldn't get off the cover of the trade, but whatever Ill try to do that. 

About the Trade Reading Order Forum

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Currently Online:
11 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4
Forums: 16
Topics: 360

Membership:

There are 1407 Members
There have been 628 Guests

There is 1 Admin

Top Posters:

Chris D. – 931
Simon – 778
Marc – 566
Gorblax – 95
Matches Malone – 76
lonefeather – 58

Recent New Members: wsandefur, galko, megapowa, Amireal, volnosh, nsbrwttt, Dangermice, HawkeyeCB1, fivefoot1, gaming_gar