First of all, I tweaked the blog headers and author title text. The author now shows up right under the blog post title along with the time of the post. There is a small comment link there, and then a bigger one at the bottom of the post.
You may have noticed that the site has been pretty slow lately. Some of that has been from increase in traffic, which is natural, and some has been because we’ve been doing a lot of work in the backend. But apparently a huge chunk came from googlebot indexing as well – almost half a gig of traffic per day!
So I’m working now to figure out how to optimize the site for the most amount of content indexed for the least amount of bandwidth eaten up.
I’m also trying to speed up a few other things – the share links in the sidebar have been changed, for example. The individual site share links were each calling an outside site and holding up the loading of the sidebar. Changing it to just “addthis” has it call only one source instead of five or six.
I also removed the background image. I liked it, but I had put it in there on day one as a placeholder and forgot about it. I checked it today and it was almost 800kb! That’s almost one mb every time someone hits the page! Taking it out should make the site go a lot faster and help keep the bandwidth down. I’ll see what I can do for replacing it – probably a solid color.
I’m going to have to try and tighten up some code and optimize some other images as well.