Up Down
Want to stay up to date? Click here to subscribe to updates by RSS!
You can also sign up to get updates by Email!
« | »

42 Comments Post New »

1. avatar Simon wrote on at January 2, 2011 9:20 am:

All of mine are on there, so far so good :D (but I only have a dozen or so Marvel titles)

avatar Ian replied on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:41 am:

haha nice. I don’t have that many myself. Maybe 100? But you DID remind me that I should check against the ones I do have. I don’t know how I forgot to do that. A quick glance confirms that I have most of them, but I’ll do a one-by-one check tonight.

2. avatar etragedy wrote on at January 2, 2011 10:09 am:

Amazing! Thanks for all your hard work!

avatar Ian replied on January 2nd, 2011 at 10:14 am:

Thanks pal! Not done yet, of course, but getting there!

3. avatar Dirt55 wrote on at January 2, 2011 10:20 am:

Wow Ian,
    That’s a crazy huge list! I’m not a marvel guy, but my brother is. Soon I’ll have a chronological list to go off of for gifts. Thanks!

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 8:26 pm:

Hopefully soon!

4. avatar -B. wrote on at January 2, 2011 10:24 am:

Holy crap, dude. You’ve been busy behind the scenes! Thanks for doing all of this.

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 8:27 pm:

no problem man, it’s gonna help me just as much as anyone else :D

5. avatar etragedy wrote on at January 2, 2011 10:36 am:

I’m not at home so I can’t check my bookshelf against the list. But I will in a few days.
    The only thing I see missing is some of the anthologies – which you probably *don’t* want to include because they are a bunch of single issues that would be really hard to put in a ‘preferred’ reading order (beyond collected pub date) – such as ‘The Best of Marvel 1995’ (They had a few years in the 90s where they had annual ‘best of’ TPBs), and ‘Marvel’s Greatest Super Battles’ (a few variations of that were released too).

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 2:27 pm:

ooh! I absolutely do want to include these. I’ll start searching for them now. Let me know if you remember any more.

We have a “best of” taxonomy for the dc list and should have a similar one for marvel.

avatar etragedy replied on January 7th, 2011 at 9:45 am:

O.K., checked against my bookshelf, and they’re all there. The only one I have that’s different is

Which I believe is just an earlier printing of the X-Men and Spider-Man in the Savage Land that you have listed.

Good work!

avatar Ian replied on January 7th, 2011 at 10:01 am:

yeah, I think it’s the same thing. I’ll double check as I place them, though. Thanks dude!

6. avatar Steve M. wrote on at January 2, 2011 1:05 pm:

Wow, that’s a helluva list. The 2 in my collection that I don’t see on there are “Atlas: Return of the Three Dimensional Man” and “Gorilla Man”. Also, my the Agents of Atlas: Marvel Boy trade I have is just “Atlas: Marvel Boy”, if it makes a difference (the Amazon listing seems to agree – the one you linked to isn’t the “official” Amazon listing of it). Can you tell I’m an Agents of Atlas fan?

Otherwise, looks great!

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 2:36 pm:

Awesome Steve, thank you. I’ve corrected the Marvel Boy one in my database and will put in the others.

7. avatar jonah_X wrote on at January 2, 2011 7:54 pm:

Ian, that is amazing. Astonishing. Something like that.

Like Dirt55, I’m not such a Marvel guy, although some issues from Spider-Man (in German) were the first comics I read and bought, but with you elaborating such a huge list with so much effort for us maybe I’ll take a closer look into the Marvel Universe.

More flattery will be made when work is done, haha.

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 2:38 pm:

hehe, thanks for the support Jonah :)

8. avatar Ryard wrote on at January 2, 2011 10:05 pm:

Question: you’re including the Dark Horse and Dynamite reprints of the Marvel Robert E. Howard stories….you’re including the NEW Dark Horse and Dynamite Robert E. Howard stories (although the Sonja stories are a direct continuation of the Marvel series, the newer Conan is not…interesting that the DC crossover with Claw is in there, though.!)…no love for the Transformers? The Marvel series was definitely MU.

avatar Ian replied on January 2nd, 2011 at 10:11 pm:

Transformers slipped my mind. I didn’t realize the original series was in the MU. I’ll have to look into it.

I’m kind of exhausted right now, but I’m gonna go through all these comments and add in the new books when necessary. I’ll elaborate on the conan/sonja related stuff too – you’re right, I decided to include all of the stuff with those characters on this list, even though it doesn’t all quite fit – kind of like the Tor stuff on the DC list.

avatar Ryard replied on January 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 pm:

Yeah – Spidey was in issue #3, but the kicker is that a villain from Transformers played a role in Secret Wars II…Circuit Breaker in issue #3.

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 2:39 pm:

Cool, definitely going to figure that one out.

avatar Ian replied on January 4th, 2011 at 11:16 am:

oh man. There’s about 100 transformers books! I’m not sure how to handle this. I’d like them to all be on one list, but I don’t know if they should be on the marvel list if there are only a couple crossovers. I dunno, it’s a tough one. I guess a hundred out of 2600 isn’t the biggest deal, but only 14 of those were published by marvel. Maybe they should have their own list – 100 books is a lot and apparently they have a pretty complicated continuity.

avatar Ryard replied on January 4th, 2011 at 2:26 pm:

Yeeaaahhh…..the only ones that would fit in the Marvel continuity would be the Marvel series (Earth 91274) and the Marvel UK reprints (Earth 120185). Of course, those were also reprinted by IDW. The Dreamwave and IDW continuities are different, obviously, but you have the new Conan, Kull, and Solomon Kane in there.

You know, I forgot about Death’s Head. He came out of the Transformers books, too (although he technically first appeared in one page in a different book so Marvel could keep the copyright). Of course, he brings the Doctor into the Marvel Universe fold as well; a number of the Doctor Who strips have been collected. And then Transformers brings in G.I.Joe…Dear God, what have you done?!?!

avatar Ian replied on January 4th, 2011 at 2:38 pm:

haha yeah, you’re hitting it right on the head. After going through all the books, and still finding more right this minute, I think Transformers deserves its own list.

It does interact with the main Marvel line, but no more so than Ultimate Marvel. Actually, no more so than DC!

I feel like we can sort of treat them as intercompany crossovers, since it’s not really a marvel creation anyway – it’s Hasbro, right?

We’ll make note of it on both lists, and maybe even add books with a crossover to both lists (like Transformers / New Avengers) but since there are so many sub-series, different continuities, etc, Transformers really deserves their own section of the site. I didn’t realize it was such a big publishing universe!

Well, that’s my opinion, but I’ll put a poll up and see what everyone else thinks.

Conan, while also technically an outside property, still significantly represents marvel history, I think. The Dark Horse books are retellings of the same stories (already retellings of the original texts), but I don’t think they’re different enough to warrant a whole conan list. The problem there would be we’d have to put too many books on both lists.

With transformers, only a few books really need to be on both lists. I want to try and avoid repeating books as much as possible.

In any case, we’ll see what others think in a little bit.

9. avatar Marc wrote on at January 3, 2011 4:07 am:

Nice work, Ian! I’ve got the list open in one window and this comment box in another, so right now I’m just going down the list in the other window and making some notes in this one…

Entries 188-190: Marvel gave Deadpool top billing for the Ultimate Collections — rather than “Cable and Deadpool Ultimate Collection,” the covers and indicias read “Deadpool and Cable Ultimate Collection.”

Entries 212-217: You may want to edit for uniform capitalization (either “the Falcon” or “The Falcon”). There are a couple cases like that throughout the list, but no biggie.

Entry 249 is a slipcased set of Entries 250-251. Not sure if that affects whether you want them all on the list or not, but just thought I’d point it out in case you didn’t know.

Entries 328-336 are all Dark Horse Conan. I wasn’t sure if you wanted to include that or just the Marvel-published stuff. The Marvel comics are collected in the Chronicles and Savage Sword books. Same goes for some of the other REH comics…not all of the ones on the list are Marvel.

To my knowledge, there was only ever one printing of the Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus Companion (you have two printings listed, as 368 and 369). It was, however, printed with two different covers. Have you come across differing accounts of what’s collected? I own the book, and I can check its contents against whatever you have listed for it when I go back to Milwaukee on Friday.

Entries 1028-1069: The Marvel Adventures books are not in regular continuity. It’s unclear to me at this point whether they all exist together in their own “Marvel Adventures” universe, or if each title takes place in its own universe…or (another possibility) some take place in the same universes as one another, but others do not.

Entries 1252-1255: Looks like a dash got mixed in there where a hyphen should have gone!

Entries 1394 and 1395: I believe the Nextwave trades have volume numbers, though I could be mistaken since I don’t own either.

Entries 1893 and 1894 appear to be duplicates.

Entries 1907-1913: I believe the indicias actually read “Thor” rather than “The Mighty Thor.” Keep in mind that all of those books have old and new printings, and the contents differ. I have more info on the differences on my timeline.

Also, I didn’t notice the New X-Men Ultimate Collections anywhere on the list.

That’s about all I see at the moment…obviously I didn’t read the entire thing, but hopefully that helps you somewhat. :)

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 3:11 pm:

Thanks so much, dude! Going down your comment and making corrections in a similar manner.

– Deadpool and Cable volumes corrected.

– Fixed “The Falcon” but will have to keep my eye out for similar errors.

– yeah, I know about the slipcase – that one is marked as such in the database. A collector might have one or the other and care to mark as such in their collection.

– I do know about the publishers here for Conan, etc (all the books already have publication information put in, so I’ve gone over all that) and want them all on one list. It might be a little awkward, but Conan is definitely part of Marvel history, so all his books go here.

– I’m not sure about the Miller DD omnibi. According to amazon the second one has about half the page count. If you find out anything, let me know!

-I’m aware about the multiple continuities. I’ve got taxonomies running for all of them. Adventures, etc. Just how DC has the all ages titles and the DC Animated sub-taxonomies, yet all the books are on the main list. I don’t think all the marvel adventures books are in a shared continuity, but some of them are. Not enough to warrant an Ultimate Marvel style separate list though.

– Fixed all the Team – Up to Team-Up errors. Thanks!

– I own the nextwave trades. They do have volume numbers, but they aren’t listed everywhere. Sometimes I take them out if it’s screwing up searches for the book, users can figure out which one comes first by our listing and the displayed contents.

– yes, definitely a dupe. thanks!

– I’ve simply replaced it with “Thor” for now. I’ll have to read up on the differences and figure out what to do there at a later date.

The New X-Men books have hardcovers as well, which don’t have the “Ultimate Collection” label – but those entries will be included in the Ultimate Collection taxonomy. Since it’s the same contents, I didn’t make separate entries.

Thanks a lot Marc, that was a lot of help. I’ll have over 100 more added tonight and I’ll update that, though probably the typo changes won’t be reflected on this list.

avatar Marc replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 6:53 pm:

No problem man, happy to help!

I have no idea what’s up with the two different Amazon listings for the DD Omnibus Companion, but I’m pretty sure the one with the larger page count is wrong. Comic Book DB lists only one version of the book (with a regular cover and a variant), both with 500 pages. I’ll check again when I go back, but I’m positive it can’t have more than 600 pages; it’s fairly thin for an Omnibus. But to be safe, maybe we should ask on the Marvel Masterworks message board.

I’m not sure I’d include the New X-Men hardcovers with the Ultimate Collections. The HCs and the UCs are sought by VERY different people, and I’m not sure if their contents are exactly the same. Even if they are, though, I think it would be best to have separate entries. They were published almost ten years apart, and the HCs have definitely attained “collector status” at this point due to their rarity…just like someone might have a use for the different Captain America: The Classic Years editions, I think people would want to be able to mark on their collections that they own the New X-Men HCs, rather than the Ultimate Collections. I know I would if I owned them!

Also, just noticed something for entries 1967-1973. The JMS-written Thor books are good, but the ones by Dan Jurgens and JRJr are titled “Thor by Dan Jurgens & John Romita Jr. Vol. 1,” etc. At least, that’s how they were solicited and that’s how the title appears in the indicia (I have the first one sitting in front of me).

Looking at the other Thor titles, entries 1956 and 1957 appear to be duplicates. Entries 1919 and 1920 are duplicates as well…also, the correct title for that one MAY be “X-Men: The Origin of Generation X,” but I’m not sure. I actually have it on order right now, which is the reason why I went looking for it!

avatar Ian replied on January 3rd, 2011 at 8:35 pm:

The hardcovers would definitely have separate links to amazon… I’m just wary of that, because to be consistent I’d have to separate out every hardcover/softcover/new edition and it would result in a list that’s 3-4 times the size. If you find out they have different extra features or something, I’ll separate them out, but we can always do that at a later date. For now, with 3 different versions of New X-Men collections already, I’m just going to leave them like that until we get the list online.

The site as a whole isn’t really for edition collectors as much as a story reference… I think in general I’d be more comfortable eventually having the edition information and collector information just under the database page for that entry. I dunno… I’ll have to see, I don’t think much about showing collections off via the site, I never even dreamed it would get to that point. haha.

I remember the Dan Jurgens volumes you’re talking about. I actually originally had them like that, but then trimmed it because of conflicted amazon listings and lack of results for the searches on ebay with the full title (and the ebay searches run by title.) I’m going to be double checking again against CBDB when I put in the links to that site, so I’ll correct at that point.

Nice catch on the omnibus, no idea how that happened. Also the dupe of generation x. I’m not sure about the title on that one – I went by what it said on the screenshot on amazon. Let me know if you find out more – or I’ll correct it when I come across the cbdb entry.

avatar Marc replied on January 4th, 2011 at 2:54 am:

Yeah, I definitely see your point about listing the different editions. New X-Men is kind of a weird case because it’s been collected in more formats than any other comic book story that I know of. Later this year, they’re rolling out yet another series of smaller trades collecting it too…

Also, I just checked and the Ultimate Collections do correspond with the original hardcovers in terms of contents. However, I did remember while looking at it that the Ultimate Collections and the Omnibus feature a significant retooling of one issue (New X-Men Annual 2001). That issue was originally published in Marvel’s short-lived, widescreen-esque “Marvelscope” format, and the original trades and hardcovers featured the story in an abysmally cropped format. The later books changed things up based on detailed suggestions by a fan who posted his own mock-ups on Joe Quesada’s forums (which I was posting on at the time, so I saw how it all went down).

That may not affect how you want to organize the list at all, but hey, at least I got the chance to tell that interesting story (interesting in my opinion, at least!). :)

avatar Ian replied on January 4th, 2011 at 7:27 am:

It is a tough call. Maybe in the future I’ll be able to figure out how to have multiple entries listed on the same place in a list, but able to be added to a collection separately.

And yeah, that is an interesting story! It’s amazing how tied in comics publication is with the fandom.

avatar Marc replied on January 4th, 2011 at 11:30 am:

That might be a nice feature for people who collect Premiere HCs rather than the TPBs, or something like that. But like you basically mentioned, I think the number of people coming to TRO for something like that will probably be relatively low. The bells and whistles we’re talking about might be kind of neat somewhere down the road though.

avatar Ian replied on January 4th, 2011 at 11:32 am:

yeah, I’ll try and keep it in mind if I see a way to do it.

10. avatar Cloud wrote on at January 5, 2011 4:00 pm:

Fantastic list!

I did notice one missing trade that I have in my collection… Sentry: Age of the Sentry. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it for sale at Amazon, but places like InStockTrades, TFAW, and TalesofWonder all sell it. I almost missed it since I buy most of my TPBs from Amazon.

avatar Ian replied on January 5th, 2011 at 9:23 pm:

ah, good tip! I wasn’t sure if it had actually been published since I couldn’t find it on there. It does seem like there are listings elsewhere, weird that there isn’t a used copy up on amazon, even. Good to know that it did go out, though. I’ll add it in!

11. avatar Ruax wrote on at June 13, 2011 7:51 pm:

amazing site. thank you for your hard work. I have a question, I am new to marvels graphic novels, i have most of the civil war collection. there are so many marvel graphic novels i dont really know where to begin. take for instance The Avengers, there are alot of different ones, how do i figure out which order they go in?

thanks again

avatar Simon replied on June 15th, 2011 at 9:28 am:

Hey Ruax welcome to the site. To answer your question you could use the marvel character lists and say for instance click onto avengers. The lists will contain roughly everything they’ve been involved in (some only very minor roles) and obviously therefore present a huge list.

I’ve always found that the best place to start is when they do a new volume or a new long-term writer comes in. Obviously with something like the Avengers this has happened plenty of times so it’s a case of picking a era you enjoy the most to read (i.e. golden/silver/bronze/modern ages). For me personally I prefer a lot of the more modern takes on series so I started with Avengers: World Trust, but it’s up to you.

12. avatar Wire wrote on at November 16, 2011 8:17 pm:

I want to start a website. It will be asking for money only to fund the seminars associated with holding meetings for the clients and for mailouts. How should I go about setting that up?.

13. avatar cats & dogs wrote on at April 11, 2013 2:02 am:

Yes! Finally something about michael jordan backpack.

[Reply]

14. avatar Alpha Omega Squad Angels and Demons wrote on at July 22, 2014 1:16 am:

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging
    on websites I stumbleupon every day. It’s always exciting to
    read through content from other writers and use a little something from other sites.

15. avatar Shirlene Spillane wrote on at March 17, 2016 7:55 am:

My colleagues were looking for Vehicle Sales Agreement earlier today and were told about a document management site that hosts 6,000,000 forms . If others are looking for Vehicle Sales Agreement too , here’s http://goo.gl/BjmzVW

Trackbacks and Related Posts

Content from other blogs and on this site that links back to this post.
  1. Justice Blog
    Trackback on at August 27, 2016 10:16 pm:

Superman The Reign Of Doomsday Hardcover Graphic…

[…] novels i dont really know where to begin. take for instance The Avengers, there […]…

2. Verse Blog
    Trackback on at September 17, 2016 11:40 am:

Spider Verse 5 Marvel Comics Spider Verse Comics Graphic Novels Com

[…] thank you for your hard work. I have a question, I am new to marvels graphic nov […]

3. Source Blog
    Trackback on at January 28, 2017 1:27 am:

Marvel Pronto Collection Single

[…] many marvel graphic novels i dont really know where to begin. take for instance […]

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI